Well, my first few days of development on Space Mercs is coming to–in my eyes, anyway–a very successful end. I have implemented several key features, including:
- real-time game play that stays true to its roguelike ancestors
- random map generation that creates realistic, interesting dungeons (and not just boxes tied together with lines)
- random feature, item, and NPC population of said dungeons (still very, very alpha)
- plug-in AI system for entities
- four working AI plug-ins, including Berserk Melee, Balanced Melee, Flee, and Wander
- primitive melee
- LOS for players
I will be teaching two classes starting next week, so what free time I had is going to be severely compromised, but I intend to implement at least a few features during the weekdays after class, including:
- item/ability behavior plug-ins (such as AffectStat() and ChangeBehavior())
- more fully fleshed out melee
- better random entity population
- linked levels
If I can get through all that (and it’s a tall order), there will only be a few major systems (saving!) left to create before the game will be ready for content creation! I hope to have a primitive working version done within a month or two, but that will surely end up being revised.
After that, who knows?