I’ve spent the past couple of days trying to decide how I’m going to work the map generation for Space Mercs. I initially had more standard-fare RPG aspirations for the game, but when I decided to go roguelike I knew that I would need some kind of random tool for generation. The problem, however, is that I often feel as though purely random roguelike maps (Angband and Nethack, I’m looking at you 😉 ) can get a little wearisome.
For Space Mercs, I’m going with a slightly different, although still totally random, method–the tile-based generation. The generator draws from a massive list of preconstructed (by me) terrain pieces and places them around them map, then goes through and connects them all.
The generator makes interesting, challenging mazes that still maintain an interesting, varied look (which will only be enhanced after the addition of dungeon dressing and more tiles).
From a gamer’s perspective, the map works, and works well. On my end, however, the thing is freezing up (but not throwing any errors) every couple of iterations, and I don’t know why. That’s my next task.